Friday, August 22, 2008

Dear Mom

I know there was no way of knowing. I mean, how could you have known? But this wasn't a great time for ME for you to take your Alaskan vacation. I'm a wreck and you're out of cell coverage. I know you didn't know when the first day of school was or exactly what my level of comfort would be, but I'm dying over here without having you on speed dial!

I changed at least four times before settling on something conservative enough, fun enough, casual enough, but also nice-looking to wear to the back to school barbecue tonight. The mention of anything remotely related to what Morgan will be doing in school is enough to make my eyes well with tears. Peeking into her classroom tonight, seeing the tables and chairs with names labeling. Seeing the coat hook where she'll hang her backpack on Tuesday morning. Well, it's all just a bit much.

I hope we made a good impression on her teacher. She sure made a good impression on me. She spent a good amount of time talking to Morgan and trying to find out what Morgan was interested in, what kids she knew, and letting her know that they were going to have so much fun this year. There are at least four other kids in Morgan's class that we know, one of them son of the woman that I'm going to be exchanging child care with so we can work in the class! Us new Kindergarten moms are bonding together. Going into this unknown territory together. And we are all terrified!

The barbecue was full of excitement -- maybe even too much for my five year old and sixteen month old. There was a BAND for crying out loud! Playing rockin music such as Jessie's Girl and I'm Just a Girl. Not to mention all the prerequisite cake walks, ring tosses, ice cream floats, bouncy houses, and water slides. And TONS of people. It literally took Morgan OVER AN HOUR to eat her dinner. All of it was.....a bit much.

And I'd love to debrief on this. Ask questions like "how did you do this?" or "how can I quit getting all choked up at every little thing??" I need to get any last minute advice for preparing Morgan, or better yet, preparing myself. But she's on vacation. I know!! As if we mothers get to do that! ;)

No comments: