Sunday, August 3, 2008

Girls' Night

I knew Morgan was excited about "Girls' Night" yesterday when she told the same guy TWICE about our plans for the evening. This guy (with his 18 month old daughter) was at the park we went to and had lunch yesterday and then he showed up at the tennis club to swim at the same time we were there. She told him both times.

I believe, however, that the actual night surpassed her expectations. Once Bennett was in bed, we got Charlie and The Chocolate Factory going while Morgan soaked her feet in the foot spa. I made popcorn and came back and gave her a gentle massage with the pumice stone and then a little foot massage. She picked out the nail polish color and we painted her toes up.
Note to self: Who needs Hooker Red in their OPI collection? Certainly NOT the mother of a five year old who will give her ALL the choices.

After I was done with her, I did my feet and toes and then we vegged out on the couch, watching the rest of the movie and eating popcorn. Towards the end of the movie, when Wonka is asking Charlie to move into the factory and take over and he tells him he will only come if he can bring his family, Morgan starts to get all teary eyed. I look at her, with a knowing smile, and ask her what's wrong. "I think I'm about to cry." I asked her why and she told me that she didn't know. So, I say, "Is it because you are sad that he's not moving into the chocolate factory because he doesn't want to leave his family?" She responds, "Yeah, I'm sad that he's not moving into the factory. I want to live there. He should just go live there." Unclear on her feelings, I asked if it was because he didn't want to leave his family, and she informed me that NO she wasn't sad about THAT. Just the part about him not moving into the factory. Oh, this empathetic child of mine!

When the movie is over, Morgan asked if it was time to go to bed yet (eager to sleep in my bed). I told her that there was no way we could go to bed right now. My toes were still drying and we needed to make banana splits. "WHAT IS A BANANA SPLIT?" my deprived daughter asks me. Follow me, my child and I will show you the way. So, I hook her up with a miniature banana split and we EVEN EAT IT IN THE LIVING ROOM (yes, we are living on the edge!!). She is sitting next to me and she keeps looking up at me; smiling, kissing me, hugging my arm.

"This is the BEST IDEA you've EVER had, Mom", she says.
"You are the best Mom ever", she says.
"I just *LOVE* girls' night", she says.
"Next time, we'll have to do it with Daddy."

Stop right there little lady. We can't exactly have GIRLS' NIGHT with DADDY! She tells me that we can, just NOT with Bennett. Oh, okay. I think I'm catching on now.



When it's bed time, Morgan takes great pride in going through my nightly routine with me. Getting the dog in her kennel, brushing our teeth, and removing the stacks of pillows from the bed. Once we get settled into bed, she cuddles up to me and gives me a big hug and tells me how much fun she had and that she can't even believe it. She can't wait to tell Daddy. And one day, she wants to live in a chocolate factory.

Then, she proceeded to go all horizontal on me and kick me ALL NIGHT LONG. Worst night of sleep I've had in a long time.

Love you too, sweetie. :)

1 comment:

melissa said...

Awesome! I can't wait to do this!