Tuesday, August 26, 2008

All grown up

I first woke up around 5am this morning and tossed and turned a little to get back to sleep. Next, I woke up at 5:57 am, just a little before Lance's alarm was set to go off. I'd already showered and set out my clothes last night, so I didn't need a lot of time to get ready, but it was time to start The Day. My daughter's first day of Kindergarten. I got up, washed my face and put on my makeup. I got dressed and then made my bed. Cue Bennett waking up. Lance seems to think he has some keen awareness of my bed making, so I'm going to have to test that out on another morning. Anyway, he woke up, which in turn woke Morgan up.

She got up and got busy right away. She got dressed, made her bed and turned off her night light all before I even came downstairs. She greeted me, telling me of everything that she's already done and I knelt down to give her a hug. She said, "See! I'm all grown up!". Cue a bawling Momma. She gave me a big old hug and kiss and patted my back, reassuringly, letting me know it's going to be okay. Then she told me how excited she was to go to school!

We had breakfast (fruit salad I had made up yesterday afternoon) and she grabbed the snack bag that she helped pack yesterday and put it in her backpack. We started taking pictures, and I opened the door to let some natural light in and that's when we saw it. Someone delivered a welcome sign to our house last night and it was there, greeting Morgan this morning. She was super excited. She told me she thought that her teacher left it there. After copious amounts of pictures, we got all packed up in the car and headed to drop her off for her first day of school!

The traffic was crazy, and parking was difficult, but we got there just in time to have her line up and then they went into their classroom. She was amazed at how her name was everywhere. In fact, she kept saying, "I can't believe my name is everywhere!" Once in the classroom, we helped her find her seat (right in front of the teachers desk -- which Lance and I are TOTALLY LOVING), and she was asked to put her name tag on, find her name plate at the head table and bring it back to her seat. Then, she was to trace her name and then go put it on the pocket board over by the circle area and then take a seat for circle time. She did exactly as she was told. The teacher read them this book called The Kissing Hand for circle time and that's when the flood gates started to open again. What a sweet story! Then she taught them the sign language sign for "I love you", asked them to give us the sign and wave goodbye with the other hand. They did this, we said goodbye and then we left.

Morgan did great! I'm so proud of her and so excited for all the new things that lie ahead. After we were dismissed, we headed to the Boo Hoo Breakfast the PTO was sponsoring for the parents of incoming Kindergarteners. We chatted a bit with our new mom friends and then it was time to go!

After dropping Lance off at home so he could finally get to work, Bennett and I did the grocery shopping and now we are about to go pick up Morgan and see how the first day went! More pictures to come soon!

4 comments:

Chantel said...

Okay, seriously, where did the sign come from? Did you guys put it up after getting it from the school or was it truly delivered?

Work in Progress said...

The sign was delivered by the PTO from the school! We actually saw it last night since we had been given a "tip" that something might get delivered. Isn't that cool??

melissa said...

oh my gosh. way to make ME cry! No way could I have handled the signing I Love You thing. She looks adorable!

aspohn said...

Isn't that the best book? When Carter is having a rough morning, he'll ask me for a kissing hand which, of course, melts my heart. I don't know if he "uses" it but it's such a cool idea.