Monday, August 11, 2008

Our summer days are counting down...

This weekend was great, don't get me wrong, but I'm a bit run down after too much fun. Seems like as much as I love the weekends, I also love getting back into my groove of the week on Mondays. And knowing that we are only three more Mondays away from Morgan's first day of Kindergarten makes it even more special. Special because I can't wait to GET HER OUT OF MY HAIR and special because, well, it's her first day of big kid school. *sob*

We got up this morning and I got half of my chores done while also getting the kids dressed, fed and all sun screened up. We walked the mile to the community center where we splashed and played in the pool, had snack, and then played a little more before it was time to come home. We walked the mile home and it was lunchtime when we walked in. I got the kids settled down at the table with their corn dogs while I finished cleaning the bathrooms and then ate my lunch myself. There was only one "oh crap" moment during the whole thing and that was when Morgan somehow flung her glass of milk off the table and onto the floor. Glass shards everywhere, Bennett looked confused and a little scared and she was nearly in tears telling me that she didn't mean to and that it was an accident. I told her that it was okay. No big deal. Let's not cry over spilt milk, after all. Once lunch was over, I knew Morgan had a too-busy weekend when she informed me that she was going to go wash her hands and face, go into her room and turn her music on and crawl into bed. I could come in there whenever I was ready to read her her story. So, I read Bennett his story, put him down for his nap and found Morgan all cuddled up inside her comforter, laying on "If you give a moose a muffin". I read her her story and then she quickly went to sleep.

I've spent the better part of their nap time catching up on stuff I normally do on Sundays - meal planning, planning out the classes I'm taking at the club this week, planning my to-do lists, shopping lists, and errands lists. I was too busy and too into MOI yesterday that I did none of this. So, now I'm fully organized again to start my week. Ahhh, love it. I'm debating putting some "bigger" organizational stuff on my to-do list, but part of me wants to put this off until after school starts. I guess I'm planning out the last of the summer and that stuff just doesn't seem to fit the category.

I was reading a book yesterday about preparing for the start of school. It gave lots of practical advice about it, such as having an "end of summer" celebration dinner and starting to get the kids to bed earlier, 10-15 minutes a night. Given the kids were up at least 2 hours past their bedtime each night this weekend, I think I need to get a grip on this. Because next week? I have to start WAKING THEM UP EARLY (I know!!). Just to be prepared because the following week? I have to have Morgan to school by 8. Eeek! So, tonight we'll have our "end of summer" celebration dinner. Morgan has requested pasta, so I'm going to come up with some sort of semi-healthy concoction. And we'll celebrate the end of the summer and start working our way towards being responsible citizens again. You know, getting to bed at a decent time and even trying to get up on a regular schedule. Phooey.

No comments: