Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tired

I was out later than normal for a Tuesday night last night with a friend of mine. And then I had to come home and unwind and watch some Olympics and catch up on email and Facebook and everything else that is SO UTTERLY IMPORTANT so as to keep me awake until well after midnight. And then this morning? Around 6:45, I wake up when Lance comes out of the bathroom after showering. I look at the clock, look at the video monitor and see Bennett is sound asleep. So, I get up and get dressed and SUDDENLY, Bennett wakes up OUT OF A COMPLETELY DEEP SLEEP. It is so bizarre. The way my kids can sense that I'm up. I mean, am I stomping around upstairs or something?? I am able to get the bed made before coming downstairs to get him and then I hear Morgan coming out of the bathroom, because, guess what? She's up TOO! Bizarre, I tell you! For once, I'd love to have that plan to get up before the kids and actually get to enjoy a cup of coffee before they wake up. Strange concept, I know.

I had decided to forgo the after workout shower after my 9am spin class (which was a KILLER, by the way!) and just show up at playgroup sweaty. Except that there were too many people that were not going to be there, so we cancelled it. Since I was already all hot and sweaty and the kids were wanting to go to a park anyway, I came by the house and packed up lunches for everyone and then we headed to a nearby park that we had never been to before. And it was like 100 degrees out there or something. Both my kids get red in the face when they get hot. Bennett's legs get red, too. Both of them were red faced within 15 minutes of being at the park. I pick a shady spot and we have some lunch. The kids play a little longer, finding a tree with cool roots to climb and fall on. :) Sorry for the grainy pictures - I forgot my camera and had to substitute with my phone. When I just couldn't stand the sun anymore, we headed home. You know what I love about picnic lunches at the park? Coming home and dumping them into their beds! They are exhausted from the fresh air and playing, full from their lunches and primed for nap time. Earlier naptime means that they are awake earlier in the afternoon, but that's okay, too. Except when they wake up before I'm ready for them to get up!

And now, when I have a million things on my to-do list, the exhaustion hits me. From being up late and getting up early. And from being out in the sun. And because it's hot. Waahhh! And I've not only got the stuff on my to-do list hovering over me, but I also have children who are awake and need attention. And it's hot. And I'm tired. Did I mention that? Is it dinner time yet?

No comments: