Monday, September 8, 2008

Another busy day at the homestead

I spent a good portion of the day yesterday mapping out this week. This is going to be a crazy week. A lot of our extracurricular activities start this week. Terrific Toddlers for Bennett today, ballet for Morgan tomorrow, and MOPS on Thursday. Not to mention the little things in between like errands, making a meal for a new mom, General Meeting for the moms club, and playgroups (times two). Busy busy. The jury is still out on whether or not I've over scheduled myself or the kids. I think in some ways, I'm overcompensating for the time that I had to work and couldn't do things like this. I mean, I am ABLE to do it now, so why not? More on this later...

Today was an early release day for Morgan and the first "coffee with the principal" morning as well. Bennett is sleeping later and later, which really gets me since he was totally up at 6am or earlier ALL SUMMER and then once school starts, BAM sleeps in. Yesterday, I couldn't even take him to church with me because he was still asleep when I left. AT 8:45!!! So, this morning, I packed up a warmed pancake and some raisins in a bowl that had a lid and a handle for him to hold on to. I brought a sippy cup of milk and let him have this in the car to keep him happy on the way to school. Once there, I lucked out and found a spot up close and popped out the stroller and we walked Morgan to her spot in line. Afterwards, I meandered my way over to the teacher's lounge where the coffee meeting was. I was one of the first ones there, so I got Bennett set up with his bib and pancake and raisins. He was in heaven and was really good! Smiling at everyone and eating quietly. He wasn't even throwing food! The coffee thing lasted about 40 minutes and we got lots of insider scoop from the principal. I guess she does this every week? Not sure if I'll make it every week, but I figure that the principal knowing who I am can never be a bad thing, you know. Not to mention the information we got with regards to the potential high school and land sale for the new location and building.

We left the school around 9:15 and I was able to stop by the grocery store and run the groceries home before we had to be back at the tennis club at 10:15 for the Terrific Toddlers class. I wasn't sure how Bennett would do. Last time I had him in a class like this (6-9 months ago), he had the attention span of a gnat and still required a morning nap, so he was a little grumpy to be all "sing singy" when he wanted to be a "sleep sleepy". This morning was terrific. The class is kind of smallish (six kids, including Bennett) and we did circle time and sang songs and played with egg shakers and parachutes. Bennett even tried to do the spider motion during Itsy Bitsy Spider! I was impressed! There was a song about dinosaurs marching and he was totally trying to march. It was very cute! He had a big smile all across his face the whole time! It was great! There was time for free play and then we did a closing circle. The class was 45 minutes long, which is just right for Bennett's age group. We finished the class with stamps on hands and I'm pretty sure they put crack in those stamps. He had to have one on both hands and then he proceeded to show them to EVERYONE on our way out. I had to stop at the front desk to tie up some loose ends and they kept going ON and ON about how cute he is and they even gave him one of the tennis balls. He was in heaven!

By the time we left the tennis club, it was time to go get Morgan. We picked her up from school and stopped for one errand on the way home from school. Got home and I got lunches ready and then we all ate. After lunch, the kids played nicely (strange!) for a while so I was able to get most of my chores done this morning (bathrooms, unloading dishwasher, replenishing toilet paper, restocking diaper bags, etc). I vacuumed by hand after they went down for their naps and now I'm about to do my August budget vs. actual close out. Which is sorely overdue because I've been putting it off.

I figure that this afternoon, during the witching hours, I'll hit the tennis club for some exercise. There's not a good class (or at least not one with an instructor I like), so I'll probably just run and do weights. Dinner tonight is Onion-Dijon Crusted Catfish, squash, and my version of Sweet and Nutty Moroccan Couscous.

No comments: