Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My first responsibility as room parent

So, as you may recall, I was lured into signing up to be one of the room parents for Morgan's class. While working in the classroom last week, I inquired about what our responsibilities entailed. The teacher let me know that our first duty would be to decorate the classroom door for the "Trick-a-Dooring" night at the school, where the kids go door to door for candy. And, in her words, "It needs to be good. It's a total competition!" She mentioned possibly using music and making it a little scary, but not too scary for the Kindergartners. Hey - no pressure!! Especially for someone who was clearly blessed with all the creative talent of a slug. So, the panic began to set in.

Now I'm nearly a week CLOSER to the date that this is needing to be completed by, and I'm no closer to an idea than I was when she first explained it to me. I'm heading over to the craft store tonight to look for favors for the moms club in and out board dinner and thought I could also check out their Halloween decorations to see what I could come up with. I'm explaining all this to Lance and he's all, "So, it's like Pimp my Door?" Yes, but only in a scary way I tell him. But not too scary. So, this sick-o that I'm married to, comes up with this idea. "You can get a noose, and hang a large Barney from it and play garbled 'I love you, you love me' music". The witch and broomstick idea that I had seems like Holly Hobbie next to his deranged Barney idea. He's a sick puppy, I tell you.

So, if you are reading this and have your creative juices flowing, please share your ideas with me. Maybe you've seen something somewhere else I can recreate and call it my own?? I'm all about reusing (it's a form of recycling, isn't it). :)

1 comment:

melissa said...

How about covering the whole door frame area (you know - like after the door opens) with fake spider web stuff so that when they come to the door, they have to stick their hands through it to get the candy? A house did that one year when I was a kid, and I got all freaked out sticking my hand into their dark house for candy. Not sure what you could put on the actual door itself though.

If the teacher knew what you and Lance dressed up as in the past, there's no way she would have given you this assignment ;-)