Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sleep and religious discussions

What is up with all the sleep? Not just me, but the kids also. I was asleep last night by 10:30 and slept for over nine hours. Bennett was in bed around 7:30 last night and slept until 8:45 this morning! Not that I'm complaining, but it's just very bizarre!

My plan this morning was to get the kids off to church with me (we leave between 8:30 and 8:45) to give Lance some more time to himself. Who knows, maybe the stuff I've been wanting to be put in the attic might magically make it's way up there given enough "alone time". :) I woke up with a start at 8am, because NO KIDS had woken me up. Luckily, I had showered last night, but I had thirty minutes to get myself and the kids ready and out the door.

I got dressed and headed downstairs. Morgan was awake, but was sitting in her pajamas playing quietly with her Barbies. Bennett was still asleep, and I just couldn't bring myself to wake him. So, I asked Morgan to put on the clothes that had been laid out the night before. I assisted her to make things move more quickly. She wanted to know what the big rush was and I let her know that we had fifteen minutes to get dressed, eat and get out of here. I told her that she didn't have to go to church, but she just jumped up and started taking clothes off because, "I just LOVE church!" She ate a quick breakfast of cereal and I made coffee while I woofed down an English muffin with cheese on top. We left the house at 8:40, not too bad. I never would have been able to do that if I'd have woken Bennett up. Ahh well.

On the way to church, Morgan saw the theater where we saw Willy Wonka and she told me how much she loved it. She asked if we could maybe buy the CD with the music on it someday like she has the soundtrack for Annie and Cars. I told her that she could put it on her Christmas list. She got all excited about this and said that would be "AWESOME!" Then she started talking about how sometimes Santa makes the toys and sometimes he buys them from the store. But the elves really make the toys. And they are so small. They are "CUTE!!" I was relieved to hear this since last year we had our first visit from The Elf on the Shelf and I was warned by many friends that I would be scarring her for life. Take that, you skeptics! I'm wondering if September is too early for him to visit??

Anyhoo, with all the talk of Christmas I thought I would ask Morgan if she knew what Christmas was all about. We were headed to church, after all. Her response? "It's about getting toys!!" How did I know that's what she was going to say?? So, I tell her that no, that's not really what Christmas is about. And then she goes, "Wait. I know what it's about. It's about Jesus' birthday! I know that because Bennett has a book about the story of Christmas. And it's about when Jesus was born." Yes! That's right! The she said, "When is it that Jesus died on the cross?" and I told her Easter. She wanted to know if that was before or after Christmas. I told her after. She said "okay". I reminded her that Bennett was born on Easter, so by the time the next Easter rolls around, he'll be turning two. "Yeah, when Jesus died on the cross." I wonder if she'll always make the correlation between Jesus dying on the cross and Bennett's birth. :)

After church, we hurriedly got her obligatory "church donut" and headed to the car to get to the park where we were meeting friends. I called Lance and asked him to pack up a lunch for the kids and me. On the way home, we saw a car on the other side of the freeway that was ON FIRE. I'm talking about full on flames. And there was a guy who was still standing there, fairly close to the car. Cars catching on fire is pretty much my biggest fear. I wasn't even comfortable being on the same highway. Going the opposite direction. With a big median between us. I quickly got on the cell phone to call 911 and was promptly put on hold. IN FOUR DIFFERENT LANGUAGES!! I couldn't believe it. Luckily, I saw a fire truck headed to the scene while still on hold, so I hung up.

I swung by the house and Morgan and I changed, we grabbed Bennett and the lunches and headed to the park to give Lance a chance to watch some football and veg out without us around. The kids had fun playing in the sand and water and before I knew it, it was time to come home for naps. The kids got bathed and put down for naps and they are just now waking up. THREE HOURS LATER.

Love it! I desperately need to make a trip to Costco, so maybe I'll do that this afternoon with Morgan. Give the guys a chance to hang out, watching football and farting. :)

No comments: