Saturday, September 27, 2008

"You did a wonderful job on my son's circumcision!"

Yes. Those words actually came out of my mouth tonight. At a child's first birthday party, nonetheless. People, you can dress me up, but you can't take me out.

The funny thing is, I was looking at this woman and thinking that she looked awfully familiar. I was thinking maybe she was a news anchor or something, just without all the makeup. I knew something was missing - I just didn't realize it was the whole lab coat thing. It was then that the hostess said something to her eldest son about the doctor. And then it hit me! She is the one that did Bennett's circumcision. And before I knew it, I blurted it out! "Oh, I thought I recognized you!" Followed by several statements about my son's circumcision. And what a nice job she did. And how apparently she does the best ones. Because that's what I was told over and over at the hospital. Inappropriate much?

Coming out of the jumpy house, all red-faced, sweaty and smiling is my little walking beautiful circumcision. I figured asking her to take a look at it, or showing it off to the crowd of people that had to endure my bragging was crossing some sort of boundary that I really didn't need to even be thinking about.

On the way home, Lance asked me if I thought she had been invited because she was a family friend, or if it was because she did the birthday boy's circumcision. I told him I didn't know. He said, "Now I'm feeling bad that we didn't invite her to Bennett's first birthday party. Maybe I should get in touch with the one that did mine."

We are such the pair, aren't we?

No comments: