Saturday, September 20, 2008

My husband, the convert

Growing up in the south, going to an SEC school, and generally breathing in the southeast means that there's one thing that's sacred on a Saturday in fall. And that's football. Regardless of what else is going on, football is something we all make time for. My husband? He now falls squarely into this religion of ours.

When I met him, he didn't watch football at all, really. Much less college football. But, all it took was a few seasons of me hogging the remote during the games and him enduring my screaming, cussing and enthusiasm. He became a fan. He's seen my reserved mother come unglued, screaming and cussing while watching our Auburn Tigers. Then a few years ago, I brought him to my home school, Auburn University, to see what all the ruckus was about. This is when his conversion truly came about. We were there for the Auburn vs. Florida game in October of 2006. For any fans out there, this was the single defeat that Florida suffered in their 2006 National Championship season. This was one hell of a game and that's when Lance truly fell in love with college football and became an honorary Auburn Tiger. It also happened to be Morgan's first game. :)

Out here in sunny California, the weather may be nice and the sights very scenic. But on crisp Saturdays in the fall, I long for the orange and blue and the smell of Jim Beam and coke accompanied by screams of "war eagle". Having experienced it for himself now, Lance understands and cusses and screams his best "war eagle" with me, helps wrangle kids from out in front of the TV, helps to keep them quiet, and offers to make dinner. Because Momma's watching football. And around here, that's sacred.

Tonight, if you are an Auburn Tiger, let's just say that it was a good game, despite the final score. It was nice to see the offense show some signs of life this season. It was a long fought game, and overall we played nicely. War Damn Eagle!

No comments: