Sunday, September 7, 2008

It's the thought that counts

On the way to church this morning, I was explaining to Morgan that on the way home, I thought it might be nice to stop and get a card for her friend who's dog just died. This led us through the usual suspects, with regards to questions about death and animals and what you do with them when they die, and where they go. At the end of it all, she decided that she would like to pick out a card and that hopefully it would cheer him up.

So, on the way home, we stopped at the store and she was determined to pick out a card with a picture of a dog on it. Like, the get well card she brought to me. I had to explain to her that it wasn't exactly appropriate and that I felt like maybe we should steer away from pictures of dogs, since that might actually make him more sad. This conversation took a lot of explaining, because pictures of dogs does NOT equal sad to Morgan, but I think she eventually got it.

So, we bring the card home and after lunch, she goes to "decorate it". She says she knows just what she wants to do. She has pencils and stickers and markers and that will "really cheer him up!" She comes back, very proud of the work she has just completed and reveals it to me. I take one look and can't help but laugh. She has about half a dozen drawings of faces, all with frowning faces and tears coming out of their eyes. But, mixed in with this sad testimony and tribute to the lost pet is a scattering of stickers that say Neat! Way To Go! Cool! LOL She'd gotten a hold of her "motivational" stickers that we use on her chore chart and littered the sympathy card with their positive statements.

Hopefully he'll understand that it comes from a good place in her heart.

2 comments:

Chantel said...

ohhh you need to take a picture of this card to show her when she is older!! (and to us!)

Work in Progress said...

Doh! I wish I'd have thought of that! It's already sealed up and in the mail -- I had Lance drop it off on the way to the bank.