Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Making plans for the future

Today during lunch, I was talking to Morgan about how we are going to have a new babysitter come tomorrow night while I'm at bible study. I told her who it was, but she can't place the name to the face. I'm sure she'll recognize her when she gets here tomorrow night. She asked why her cousin couldn't just babysit and I told her that because she has two jobs and is going to college now, she isn't as available as she used to be. So, I thought it was time to try a new babysitter and given that I won't be gone very long tomorrow night, it seems like a good way to test it out. She goes on to tell me that she knows that I'll tell the new babysitter about reading books to Bennett before bed and about her having to be in bed on time since there's school the next day.

Me: "That's right. And if it works out, maybe we'll have her come every few weeks and so Daddy and I can go on a date."
Morgan: "Yeah. When I go on a date, will you have to get a babysitter?"
Me: "For who? Bennett? No, you'll be MUCH OLDER when you are able to start dating, so Bennett won't need a babysitter. Besides, are you thinking that you'll invite Daddy and I along?"
Morgan: "Yeah. You and Daddy will come with me on my date. Then you'll have to get a babysitter for Bennett."
Me: "Well, if you promise me that you will let Daddy and I come on your date with you, then I will promise to get a babysitter for Bennett."
Morgan: "Okay. Because I will always be older than Bennett."
Me: "That's true. And if we were to have another baby, Bennett would be older than that baby but you would still be older than both. You'll always be the oldest."
Morgan: "I bet you wanted me to be a boy."
Me: "Nope. I was very happy to find out you were a girl."
Morgan: "Yeah. Then I bet you wanted a boy when Bennett was born."
Me: "Yes. I did."
Morgan: "We are so lucky. We have a great family!"
Me: "Yep, I think we do! We are very blessed!
Morgan: "Yep, we got just the right things. We have a perfect family! I never want to leave."
Me: "Okay."
Morgan: "Except I probably will want to later. And when I have my own kids, if my husband agrees (that part kills me!), I'll let them do whatever they want except be mean."
Me: "Well, when you have your own family in your own house, you can make your own rules. Will you let them paint the floors?"
Morgan: "If they do it with me or the Daddy, the that is okay."
Me: "Will you let them play with sharp knives?"
Morgan: "Of course not. They will only be able to do things that are appropriate."
Me: "Like what kinds of things are not appropriate?"
Morgan: "Playing with knives. Or water."
Me: (laughing) "Why not water?"
Morgan: "It's too messy. They will get it ALL OVER their clothes."
Me: "But you'll let them paint the floors?"
Morgan: (thinking a moment) "Yes. I'll have a room that is a TOTAL DISASTER and they can paint whatever they want in there."
Me: "Sounds good."
Morgan: "Yep. But they cannot play with knives. Or water."
Me: "Okay, those will be your rules then. You don't have to have the same rules as me."
Morgan: "Yeah. That's right!"

Don't ask me how we got from a babysitter to painting floors, but that's how conversations with a five year old go, I suppose!

No comments: